My Arkansas, Then And Now

My Arkansas, Then And Now

Friday, February 26, 2010

Happy Birthday, Johnny Cash


I grew up listening to Johnny Cash and still play his music to this day. One of the very first records I remember ever seeing was a big 78 rpm vinyl record of Johnny’s rendition of “Rock Island Line.”

Born February 26, 1932 into an Arkansas sharecropper family, the songs he churned out over his 40 year career have meaning and tell stories; some sad, tragic, historic and some even completely humorous. He was an icon from Arkansas and I don’t believe there will ever be another like him in the music industry. He was a unique, one of a kind performer. I saw him live in concert once with the Carter Family and the Statler Brothers. It was a great performance.

Happy Birthday, Johnny.

No comments:

Post a Comment