My Arkansas, Then And Now

My Arkansas, Then And Now

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cherry Nut Bread


...beat the winter blues with good food

I’m staying inside longer these days because of the cold weather and when I’m in, I like to eat. I especially enjoy good sweet bread with my hot tea or coffee in the winter. I baked a cherry nut bread last night and it’s delicious. I am enjoying it with a hot cup of tea as I write this. Here’s the recipe if you’d care to try it.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
¼ cup of cooking oil
¾ cup of chopped pecans or walnuts if you prefer
1 cup of dried cherries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease the bottom and ½ inch up the sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

In a medium bowl combine the egg, milk and oil. Stir slightly to blend. Add this mixture to the dry ingredient bowl mixture in the large bowl. Stir until moistened then fold in the nuts and cherries. Stir until mixed. Pour into the greased loaf pan.

Bake for 50 – 55 minutes (depending on your oven).

Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan and place on wire rack or other appropriate surface until completely cool.

Slice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment