My Arkansas, Then And Now

My Arkansas, Then And Now

Friday, February 18, 2011

Who Knew?


I make most of the bread I eat myself but still, from time to time, buy loaves of bread from the store. I keep and reuse the plastic twist ties from those loaves for any number of handy, useful things. I had no idea the different colors of ties related to the day the loaf was baked.

Fresh bread, it seems, is delivered to the store on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The color codes are used to designate which day of the week the bread was baked on and aid stockers and re-stockers in determining the oldest bread on the shelf. I’m told all bakers use the color coding but that some may not use the same colors to designate the same day.

The basic rule seems to be this for the day the loaf of bread was baked:

Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Thursday - Red
Friday - White
Saturday – Yellow

If you tend to buy bread from the same company, you can research and find out which color code they use. This would help guarantee you are buying the freshest loaf on the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment